Thursday, March 15, 2007

Reminders

I forget everything. Seriously. I used to have a pretty decent memory. Not so much with names, but at least with basic things- appointments, conversations. Then, I had babies. I blame my pitiful memory on them because, well, it's easy to blame them. They don't know enough to argue the point.
Now, I remember nothing. Okay, so I remember pointless things like the fact that this Saturday is the anniversary of the first time I ever kissed Brian. Eighteen years ago. (18? That is INSANE! I can't be that old!!) Anyway, I remember things like THAT. I remember the words to my favorite song (The Search Is Over by Survivor, of course). I remember the names of all my elementary teachers and all the private jokes Steffie-Poo and I had in high school and college.
But, I can't remember anything anybody tells me, unless I write it down as proof. Not to prove to others that they said it, but to prove to ME that I actually heard someone say it. It's that bad! And even though I set out Jacob's spelling list on the counter so I would remember to review it with him tonight, I'm just now thinking about it...at 10:12 p.m....while he's sleeping in his bed.
I'm assuming it will never get better. I guess I'm always gonna be that forgetful person that everyone just has to overlook.
And then there are these really cool reminders. Amazing, actually. Reminders that this life I'm living is a fabulous journey. These every day reminders, filling my heart with a joy you just can't describe with words. Reminders in the form of a seven year old boy wearing his new Hurricanes t-shirt, a Duke baseball cap turned around backwards, shooting a basketball from the skinnest arms you've ever seen. Reminders in the newly discovered voice of a baby girl learning to communicate with the sweetest babbling you've ever heard. Reminders in the last-phone-call-of-the-day conversation I had with my one true love who said he misses me so much.
It reminds me that I am blessed beyond measure. That God has given me one more day's worth of chances to squeeze the good stuff out of this journey I'm on.
A reminder that I am here for a reason. And I don't believe I'll ever forget THAT.

No comments: