Yesterday morning, I got a phone call from Brian. He was at the emergency room with Olivia.
She has been sick with a cough this week, and had a fever on Wednesday, but a dose of Motrin brought it down, so we chalked it up to a cold. We even had Jeannie come by and listen to her/check her ears on Monday, and all was well. So, yesterday morning when I left for work, she was fine. A cough, and seemed to be a little warm, but that was all.
Brian picked her up from Sonjia's around 9 and she fell asleep on the way home. He put her in the crib and came downstairs. Then he heard her coughing, so he went to check on her. He said he rubbed her tummy to comfort her, and then her eyes rolled back and she started vomiting through her nose and mouth. He jerked her up and turned her over so she could finish vomiting, but Brian said she never started crying. When he turned her back over, her lips and eyelids were blue and her eyes were glassy.
He said he probably touched just two steps on the way downstairs, with a limp Olivia in his arms. He put her down, called 911, and started to breath for her. He said he isn't sure how long he gave her breaths, but he thinks somewhere between 6-10 breaths before she finally started coughing and whining. The ambulance came and Brian rode with Olivia to the hospital. By that time, she was crying normally.
Brian called me at work to tell me. He was so calm, though I don't know how. I started crying and panicking, but he said she was fine. I drove to the hospital in the rain and met Sonjia and Pastor Todd at the door. Brian was holding Olivia when I walked in the room- she was just pitiful. Crying, coughing, droopy-eyed, and fevered. Her temp when she arrived at the hospital was 104.
The day went by so fast. While we were still in the ER, they tried four different times to get an IV started, but had no luck. They had already taken blood and had done a chest x-ray before I arrived, so the ER doctor came in at some point to give us the results. He said it looked like the beginning stages of pneumonia. She was admitted and we went upstairs around 2:00. After getting settled, the nurses tried for an IV again. After four tries in the ER and four tries upstairs, they were finally able to get one started in her foot. I cried, the nurses hugged and prayed, and they taped her a million times to make sure it stayed in.
Olivia's fever started going back up and she was miserable most of the afternoon and early evening. She had her antibiotic through her IV, but eventually the alarm kept sounding for a blockage, and after trying to push a syringe of saline with no luck, they had to remove the IV. I was so worried that she would have to go through that nightmare again, but Dr. Dodds said as long as she was drinking, we would probably not need it.
Dr. Dodds and Brian talked about what happened, and they agreed that Olivia may have had a seizure, or may have just been lethargic from the spike in fever and the vomiting. Either way, aspirating the vomit is what had to have stopped her breathing.
Brian went home and took a shower and packed our things around 4:30. At around 7 (I think), we put Olivia in her crib and I think she was happy to finally not be held. She was able to sleep a little and even played a few minutes with her Elmo doll. At around 10:30, I took a shower, gave Olivia a sponge bath, and then Brian made a late-night run to McDonald's. Olivia seemed excited about the fries, and we were happy that she had an appetite, but after a coughing spell (mid-bite), we switched to chocolate pudding. The poor child may not be allowed to eat normal bites of solid food for a while because we are so freaked out that she might choke.
At around midnight, Olivia fell asleep. They left the regular bed in the room (thank goodness) and Brian and I shared it for the night. Brian slept hard, but I woke up every time she coughed and every time the nurse came in to check her vitals. Olivia coughed a lot the first four hours or so, but got some good sleep between 4:00 and 8:00. At 5:30, the nurse came in to do a flu test and an RSV test, and I was so ticked. I know they had to do it, but I was so upset because she was finally sleeping so peacefully. Luckily, even though the nurse had to squirt fluid up O's nose and then suck it back out for the RSV test, Olivia just whimpered a little and rolled back over and fell asleep again.
At 8:00, Jeanine stopped by and Olivia woke up when the nurse came in to check vitals. She didn't have a fever all night and seemed a lot more like herself immediately after she woke up. She ate some yogurt for breakfast, sat up and watched TV and she just looked so much better. Dr. Dodds came in around 10:00 and said after Olivia got her antibiotic shot, she could go home. All three of us took a nap, ate lunch and O watched TV and played pretty much like normal. Such a great sight. Olivia got the antibiotic (in two shots, as it is very thick and painful), and we left around 2:00 p.m. to come home.
There are so many blessings. First of all, our baby girl is breathing. With the exception of some bruising and a mark from the monitor sticker along with a bad cough every now and then, she is back to normal. Very far away from the state she was in yesterday.
And it couldn't have happened without my hero- my husband. He breathed for her. He did everything right. He saved her. There is absoultely no way I will ever be able to comprehend how he felt in those moments when he wondered if she would breathe again. I can imagine, but I will never totally fathom the fear he felt as he was putting his mouth to hers.
And there is also no way I will ever be able to explain to him how thankful I am to him. He amazes me. He had the knowledge, the strength, and the focus to do what needed to be done. Thank God he was home with her. He said he will never forget those images, those feelings. I know he is forever changed by this.
He is my hero.
Another blessing we have is our friends and family. I was overwhelmed at the genuine concern from everyone. Robin, who ran to the house when she saw the ambulance, and who later called others to let them know what happened, and then sent cookies for us at the hospital. Travis, who came to see Brian and Olivia in the ER. Sonjia, who was there when I arrived. Tony, who came while we were still in the ER. Others (some I don't even know) who know Brian through EMS in Caldwell, FD in Lenoir, the Highway Patrol officer who lives down the street, FD in Hickory, dispatch in Lenoir- so many who called and visited to see what was happening and to see how she was doing.
Mrs. Pennell who called Pastor Todd (both of whom came to the hospital). Wendell, who also came. Jeanine who called, then came by the room twice today. Stef/Daron, Rob/Lemon, momma, Steph, Sonjia/Bill, Mandy/Steve (who called Sonjia to get an update), FD guys, and others who showed their concern... we are so very, very blessed.
I've been so upset about Olivia not walking lately. My perspective has changed. My baby is breathing. She's here. She's alive. She's getting better. Walking can wait, because today, she's with us. And that is all that matters.
4 comments:
Wow - way to go Brian for acting so quickly and doing what needed to be done!!
Hugs to both of you. I'm glad she's better and that she has such wonderful parents.
Wow Donna. You are blessed to have such an amazing husband! We will be praying for you. Please keep us updated!
Tell Brian he's my hero too. (Now I have that song by the Foo Fighters stuck in my head). I miss you guys as neighbors so much. "Flat Jacob" is fun, but doesn't compare to the real deal. You'll be in our prayers and thoughts as I'm sure the shock is still very profound.
Donna, I am behind on this, but you are going to flip. This almost EXACT same thing happened to Marcy when she was not quite 2.
She did have a seizure, or so the doctors thought, but it was probably not from the fever, but instead from the huge flood of pneumonia bacteria in her blood. It sort of surged her system and "shorted out" the brain. It was SO SO SO scary. To this day I can see that look in her face when it happened. We were actually at the table eating dinner when it hit. We freaked and did the same thing as you.
And very similarly, after a short hospital stay with IV fluids & antibiotics, she was like a new kid.
These AMC'ers!!! I tell ya... :)
Post a Comment