Friday, August 24, 2007

Butterflies

This morning, my stomach was filled with butterflies. I had a lunch date today with some very dear friends that I haven't seen in a very long time. I was nervously excited about spending some time with them after so long.

When I taught at Campbell, my teaching family consisted of my mentor, Connie, and my other 3rd grade colleagues Louanne, Barbara, and Carrie. (And Nila, who has since moved to Raleigh.) These ladies have touched my life more than they will ever know. They helped me become a better person and a better teacher.

Carrie retired the year Jacob was born. In May three years ago, Connie retired. I left that same summer (as did Nila) and Louanne stayed at Campbell until this last December. I lost touch with them, especially Connie who I haven't spoken to since the week before I found out she was retiring. So, today we met Barbara in her fourth grade classroom at Campbell so we could all go to lunch together.

It was just wonderful to see everyone again. Immediately the laughter began and we reminisced about our years together. At lunch, Connie mentioned that her mom had died two years ago. I was so surprised and saddened by that news. We quickly realized that we had missed some important times in each other's lives. Daddy's death, Olivia's journey- so much has happened...

So, as the minutes passed, the butterflies disappeared. In their place came a comforting feeling, a feeling of being home again. A feeling of family and acceptance. Oh, how I have missed them.

I am so thankful that we were all able to be together today. And I'm going to make a commitment to see them more often. (I regret not taking a camera with me today!!)

I praise God for placing these ladies into my life. And I am forever thankful for their friendship and love!

No comments: