Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Questions and Answers

We saw the geneticist today. We talked a lot about Olivia- where she's been, how far she has come, the unknowns.

Dr. Allen kindly reminded us that we may do testing and not find any answers. "Yes, we know," we told him.

We are pretty good at not having any answers. But, right now, the journey to search for answers is important to us. So, when we go to the neurologist on Friday, we'll be asking for some testing to be done.

Here's what the geneticist has ordered (copied from the sheet they gave us):
Array, CGH chromosome study (purple top and green top tube)
Lactic acid, pyruvic acid, CPK
Acylcarnitine profile, plasma carnitine, plasma amino acids, urine organic acids

Maybe answers will be found somewhere in the results of these tests. Maybe they won't. Either way, we'll be okay. And either way, it will be one more path traveled as we continue to figure out the best ways to help Olivia.

Today has been a very hard day for me. Not because of the dr. appt., but just because it is one of those days.

As Brian said, we'll take this journey
one.
day.
at.
a.
time.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hmmmm....
I wish I had some wonderful quote or words of wisdom that would put you at peace and leave you with a smile on your face, but I am at a loss. I guess sometimes words are just that...words. But please know that my heart goes out to you guys every day and you are always in my thought and prayers. I love you all so very much and I thank God every day for blessing my life so much with my wonderful family (quirks and all!).
Brian is right, though...just take it one day at time and give it your all just like you have been doing. And on the days when you are all tired and don't have the energy to work with her on certain skills, remember that just being a kid and playing in the cabinets and on the stairs is teaching her lessons you can't fit in a million 30 mintue sessions.
Love you guys!
Steph