Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Busy

The past couple of weeks have been so busy... lots of memories to document.

Friday, May 23rd-
Tech department retreat. Three of the four years I've been at tech, we've had a day long retreat. Fun team-building stuff, some "staff meeting" stuff, and lots and lots of yummy food. This year was different though. Things are changing, and without going into too much detail here on the blog, I'll just say that it's very, very sad how our team is breaking apart. Some have already moved on or are planning on leaving soon for new jobs. So, this seemed like our last time together...


Sunday, May 25th- Race day
We went to the NASCAR race in Concord with Stef and Daron. (Daron's xmas gift last year.) What an experience! Most definitely for mature audiences only! We really had a lot of fun though, and are already talking about going again next year. Got great directions so dealt with very little traffic. Stayed all day and enjoyed the race from the front row. Um... I can't even remember who won, so that shows that I'm really not a true race fan. But maybe next year I'll even wear a Jr. t-shirt.

(Note to self: next year, pack your own port-a-potty. Anything is better than the ones in the parking area.)

(Another note to self: Do not let Brian heat up the BBQ by using the gas cooker under our makeshift tent, especially since it has a leak and flames shoot out of it. Better yet, pack cold sandwiches and chips instead.)

pictures to come when stef emails them to me (hint, hint)

Thursday, May 29-
Job interview in Hickory Public Schools for an Instructional Technology Specialist position (the only one in HPS). After it was over, I went to my car and said- out loud- "I want that job."


Friday, May 30-
Talked with Jeff, the tech director in HPS. He offered me the job and I accepted. Wow. It still hasn't really hit me that I'm leaving Burke and starting in a new place. But, I prayed about it, talked to Brian (a lot), and I'm at peace with my decision. It's 12 months, so no more summers!
I start on June 16.


Later in the day, Brian and I went to Concord to see Dr. Corbier again. We had thought that the appt. would be canceled since we assumed the tests were done so late that they would not be back yet. But, most were (except for the chromosome tests), so off we went. Dr. Corbier was great- we talked with him for over an hour and he was patient and gracious as he answered all of our questions. The EEG was normal and all of the tests came back normal. I really didn't understand what he was testing for until he described the tests in great detail as he reviewed the results. I was amazed (and thankful), because most of the tests were done to find out if she had various severe, debilitating, life-threatening conditions. It was a great relief to walk out of there with NO clear answers, because at least we had ruled out so many horrible disorders.

We gave lots of examples of Olivia's personality, behaviors, and development so that hopefully he can help us piece this puzzle together. I told him about being so weak late in my pregnancy, the elevated risk of me having a child with Down's, and the enlarged kidney she had at 20 weeks. We explained how she flapped her hands when excited, her repetitive speech patterns (like "ra-ra-key"), her poor sleep patterns, and how she likes for you to point for her instead of pointing at things herself. (All of these things are traits I've found online when researching about autism.) He still believes that she isn't autistic, but that she has autistic traits.

We discussed in great length about dietary changes and he believes we should start with something like getting rid of dairy from her diet. We haven't started this yet, as the last few days have just been so super busy. Hopefully, I can research this soon so that we can really remove all dairy and see how that affects her.

Dr. Corbier wants an MRI, and I'm glad. He expects that she has a genetic disorder of some sort and is hoping that the chromosome testing sheds more light on that. He believes her developmental delays, the clonus and exaggerated reflexes, and the arthrogryposis are all related. And he doesn't seem like he is going to give up on looking for answers for us. We just want to be on the best path to help her.

Friday night, Steph, Shaun, Stephen, and Joseph came into town. They arrived at midnight (and so did I, after going to the movies with Stef). Joseph has grown so much!! He doesn't really look like Stephen, but they both are just beautiful baby boys- blond haired and blue eyed baby boys.

Saturday, we spent the morning cleaning and getting ready for Sara's baby shower. Then Steph and I went to the movies. Sunday, we spent some time at the park (till we couldn't take the heat anymore) and then went to see Brian at the FD. Steph, Jake, Joseph and I went to Walmart (love our new Walmart- it feels like I'm not even in Lenoir!!).







I LOVE this picture. I almost missed it, as Stephen was getting ready to walk behind the tree. It is out of focus, you can see the tree coming into view on the left, and I cut off his foot. But, I still love this picture. That determined, carefree walk. This kid is going places.









Monday morning, I said goodbye to the Nida family before I left for work. I hate not living closer to them. My nephews are growing so fast and they barely know who I am... Makes Aunt Donna so very sad...

Things sure have been busy lately. Olivia has started with her new therapists (and will likely switch yet again starting next week for "extended school year"). Lots of new changes, especially with my job. Jacob's last day of school is Friday and then I'm sure our pool will be his new daily routine.

Life is so good.

3 comments:

Michael Pope said...

Some good news all around. Congratulations on the new job! I'm happy you got the job you wanted.

Anonymous said...

I am going to miss you terribly in Burkeward. ;)

TheNormalMiddle said...

Congrats so much on the job. Been mia on the internet awhile and haven't checked in on y'all in a good while. Hope she had a great big 3 birthday!