Starting next Wednesday, Olivia will be attending Valmead Elementary. Monday is her last day at Mom's Morning Out. Everyone at MMO has been great and they obviously love Olivia so much, but we need O to be more active, and it is hard to ask the ladies at MMO to do extra things with her. So, we talked a lot with Jeanine and made the decision to check into public school preschool.
The preschool director notified us that there was an opening at Valmead, so we all met this morning to adjust her IEP for the transition.
We also added a couple new goals/settings. Instead of 30 minutes 1x/week for PT, she will now get it 2x/week for 45 minutes. We pushed for this because by the time her PT puts on her knee immobilizers (and convinces Olivia to walk), most of the 30 minutes are gone. We mentioned that we were willing to decrease the time back down once the PT and the classroom teachers are comfortable walking Olivia every day.
We added another goal that we want O walking at least 50 feet once a day at school. This is so important to us so she doesn't regress.
There are 10-12 students in the class (I think) with a teacher and two full-time assistants. I'm pretty sure the class is made up mostly of special needs children.
She'll be staying from 7:55-12:30 every day. This includes breakfast and lunch, so hopefully we can get in a routine of packing those meals every day.
I'm excited. Just nervous about the transition. Olivia seemed to like the classroom- she was checking out the alphabet wall.
Brian and I think this will be a good change. We'll miss MMO, but we just couldn't made demands on them about what to do with O every day. In a preschool setting, we'll have a teacher who is familiar with special needs children. It just seems like the right thing to do.
I hope we're right.
2 comments:
First of all I love that you are writing more! Eating it up.
Second, good job on making a transition with Olivia. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it. I'm sure she'll do great!
Love you D!
Your fans are demanding more---you have not posted in quite a while..i need more pictures and stories!
love you
Steph
Post a Comment