Last week, Jacob experienced his first end-of-grade tests. And then on Friday, we got a call from Mrs. Reeves stating that while he did well on the math test (level 3), he failed his reading test (level 1). I had the full range of emotions- anger that he even has to take these stupid tests, guilt that I haven't helped him enough this year, and sad that his talents and kind-hearted personality aren't valued in the high-stakes testing environment that defines public education right now.
Tuesday, Jacob had "remediation" and then he retested on yesterday. Mrs. Reeves said he worked so hard and she was so very proud of him. Jacob scored a high level 2 on the retest. While that isn't a passing score, we are so proud of his effort and improvement. And Mrs. Reeves agrees that it would not be beneficial to have him retained. I hope the principal agrees, as she has the final say.
Jacob may not be an excellent reader, but he sure can make you laugh.
Today's comment:
"Mom, guess what happened today- and you can't post this on your blog. We were watching a movie and I was sitting with my girlfriend, so I made my move and put my arm around her."
Um... he's nine... and he apparently already has "moves". I'm thinking I should be worried about the teenage years...
Olivia hasn't been sleeping well. I'm wondering how many times I will say that in my lifetime...
She has been chatty tonight. I'm pretty certain she said "thank you" twice tonight, both times as she took my arm and made me put the sweet carrots back in the Kobe leftover box. Thanks, mom, but no thanks. I'll stick to these bits of saltine crackers you gave me.
She also said "coo, coo" for Blue's Clues. She's pointing a lot more than she ever has before. She pointed to a picture of the sun on the TV just now and said, "suh".
And, she obviously watches waayyyy too much TV. I've realized that she knows all the times Steve on Blue's Clues is going to say, "okay, so..." during each episode because she says it with him.
I don't think she napped today, so I'm looking forward to going to sleep before the wee hours of the morning.
(yawn)
2 comments:
Thata girl, O! I don't particularly like those sweet carrots at Kobe's either. Way to stand your ground girl! lol
~T
Donna, I think Jacob is a wonderful kid. He reminds me of myself about 27 years ago... Imaginative, witty, clever, funny, just not that into reading right now. He will be alright...
Post a Comment