Monday, September 27, 2010

Bring the rain

We've needed rain.  It has been so dry for so long.  The rain is long overdue.

But, I must admit, I've been praying for sunshine.  At least for every Monday-Friday.

You see, my girl is growing so fast.  She's bigger.  She's heavier.  And I get a knot in my stomach when I think about the limited number of months I'll be able to pick her up when she's lying on the floor.  For now, I can manage the weight and often when I pick her up, she melts into me.  We're a perfect fit. 

Of course, if she is more interested in reading a book or having a snack while I'm holding her, then I'm in charge of making sure I hold on as she leans back to make room for the book or snack.  Not so easy.  (And getting harder every day!)

She thinks umbrellas are cool.  And no matter the amount of precipitation, she's not content until she gets to hold the umbrella herself.  Not cool when I'm already having to hold her with one arm and fight her from taking over the umbrella with the other.  Oh, and meanwhile, trying to keep the umbrella over us.

Guess what?  My girl is now using a wheelchair to travel.  I can still carry her (remember, she melts into me unless she is preoccupied with something), but she uses the wheelchair as her transportation in and out of school and sometimes as a chair in the room.  She can drive that thing around like a pro!  But, the wheelchair has added a bit of time to our morning routine.  Instead of just carrying her, I have to unload the wheelchair and strap her in. 

See where my prayers for sunshine come in to play?

Rain is my enemy.  Mother nature has been kind to us so far this year.  At the worst, we've had some overcast days.  But, no rain.  Then, this weekend, the weather forecast map showed our area covered in green.  Starting Saturday evening and stretching through Monday.

Great.

I have to admit, it kind of consumed me this weekend.  I googled "golf umbrellas" and even "covering wheelchair in the rain".  Brian bought us a 62" golf umbrella, which gave me more hope that we might make it inside without getting drenched.  But, I was still wondering how I was going to get the chair out and her strapped in it without losing the umbrella to Miss Give-it-to-me.  And could I possibly grow another arm before Monday?

This morning, it rained all the way to school.  Not a downpour, mind you, but an off and on steady rain, nonetheless.  We arrived at school to find just a sprinkle.  We didn't even have to test the umbrella strategy.  (Which is good, since I still don't really have a strategy...)

It wasn't even raining when I picked her up this afternoon.  Whew.  We survived the first rainy day.

But, I know the day is coming when I'll find myself struggling with a 62" umbrella, a wheelchair, and a growing girl.  In a downpour.  I dread it. 

I'm trying to remember that He is my shelter from the storm.  Always.


I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain


Bring the Rain - Mercy Me
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise You in This Storm
words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth