The hashtag I'm captivated by is #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf
There are tons of tweets being shared that give a glimmer of the life as an autism parent. You can get a taste of what life is like for us. For our children. For the siblings. I'm reading these tweets, from parents young and old (and those who have aged twice as fast since the day of diagnosis...), from those who are new to the journey and from those who are seasoned veterans. From those whose days are filled with exhaustion and isolation and fear to those who have put the scratchy cloak in the closet and only try it on during rare occasions.
It's like some of these parents are reading my mind. Typing the words for me. Then there are others whose words don't match our family's journey, but somehow, they are still kindred spirits. Instant friends in 140 characters or less. I find myself craving to read more. I want to read the stories of other parents- get a glimpse of their days. I want to hear about the lives of their autistic children, and of the siblings who are... well, absolute rockstars. In abbreviations and hashtags and retweets and carefully selected words, parents are offering snapshots of life, and I'm soaking up every word.
Even if you don't have a Twitter account- even if you don't know a tweet from a hashtag- even if your daily life doesn't include the word "autism," I beg you: please take a moment and read. Read the thoughts and fears and hopes of autism parents. Hear the pleas from those who long to connect with someone who understands, and listen to those who have managed to squelch the pain and frustration, at least for a moment, with a smile and a laugh.
Autism parents. We are not an elite group. We want to share our stories with the world. We want everyone to see our children, their siblings, our families- us - for exactly who we are. The truth is, we don't have the time or energy to fake it, anyway. So, take a look. You'll see our faults, fears, faith, passions, advocacy, tears, laughter, and love. All in 140 characters or less.
Here are my #YouMightBeAnAutismParentIf tweets, so far (@donnacmurray):
#
#
#
#
No comments:
Post a Comment