We start our walk, and she claps. I hear her hum familiar
songs, watch her flap her arms. She
loves to be outside. We get to the end
of the street and turn to head down to the greenway track. The connecting path is steep, and I’m
reminded how little of this world is accessible. I pray I don’t slip on the wet leaves
covering the path.
We wade through puddles, listen to some songs, and I smile
at others we meet along the path. She’s
happy for so long, and I keep going, knowing that cutting the walk short will
likely bring about a meltdown. We have
nowhere to be, and the peace of being with my happy girl on her walk seems
almost tangible.
She pulls on the tires.
I stop suddenly, knowing she could easily get blisters from the tread
against her skin. Her hands and arms are
now covered in mud and dirt. I quickly
dig out a wipe to clean her, trying to keep her from driving. Her humming tone has changed. She’s no longer happy. The peace is gone. I get one hand somewhat clean just before she
reaches the tire with the other. She
wants to turn around.
She pushes the chair to the grass. I’m talking to her, telling her that we are
not going in the grass. I explain how
wet it is, and muddy. I tell her that
two feet in from the edge, the grass is nearly as tall as her chair. If she understands me, she doesn’t care. We battle control of the chair, and she is
filthy now. Her hands and arms covered
in muddiness from the rain-soaked track.
She bangs her head on the handles of the chair. She claws at me. Her size, her almost 70 pounds, her strength-
I’m reminded that this is almost too hard now by myself. These moments are too unpredictable, and I’m
too far from home, and I have no help, and I’m fighting her emotions. And mine.
Tears sting my eyes.
The humidity in the air that was once a soothing reminder of a late
spring rain now seems to be taking my breath away. I’m sweating, quietly crying, holding her
arms, applying some pressure, hoping that will help sooth her. It doesn’t, it seems. She’s distraught. I pray.
I see people up ahead, sitting under the gazebo. Someone is jogging closer, and I think to
myself what I will say when he offers help.
I’m squatting in front of her now, holding her arms, talking
quietly. The jogger goes past us,
without a word or glance. I don’t know
whether or not to be offended. Surely we
appear to need help. But I wouldn’t have
had an intelligible response had he asked anyway.
She still wants in the grass. She’s still clawing for my face. I’m still crying. My mind is caught in the tornado of thoughts
that always accompany moments like these.
Why? What will this look like when
she is bigger? Our life is so isolated… Dear God, why does my sweet child have
to deal with such pain and distress?
I stand up, try to wipe the tears and her hands one more
time. I ease her chair away from the
grass again. I lean over the chair,
pushing with my body as I try and hold her arms in her lap. We slowly ease back into our walk.
Within a few minutes, she has calmed. She reaches for a puddle as we pass through
it. She stretches her hand out to feel
the leaves from a branch that is reaching out to us. I thank God that she has found some peace
now. I splash quietly through a puddle
and watch the ripples.
When anxiety was great
within me, You brought consolation to my soul.
–Psalm 94:19
1 comment:
Olivia is so blessed and such a blessing. Donna, please invite Morgan and I to come take a walk or play. Yes, I mean it and you know it. it can be a short one. send me a text 8282442871
You are doing great. Hugs and high fives to you dear.
Post a Comment