Yesterday was my first day back at work. It was hard, but not nearly as hard as it was when I went back to teaching after Jacob was born. Olivia is 11 weeks old now and is normally sleeping about 6 hours each night. She will wake up, eat, and then usually go back to sleep for up to 2 or more hours. Well, of course the night before I started back to work, she slept for 4 and 1/2 hours! So, I started off the day tired, but the adrenaline rush of the first day back helped me through.
I cried for the few days leading up to yesterday, but when the day finally came, I didn't shed a tear. (That was a nice surprise!) I worked on NC WISE things at work and went to East Burke High School for a while. I had called Brian about Olivia's medicine (for reflux) that we have been giving her. The syringe we've been using holds 10 mL and so we have been giving her a very small dose of 1 mL. I took a closer look at the bottle the night before and noticed that the dosage was .1 mL- POINT one, not ONE! After talking to the pharmacist, Brian called me and said, yes, we were in fact OVERDOSING our daughter!! Great parents that we are, we didn't think through things carefully and just gave her 1 mL (which was 1/10 of the syringe). There is no way to accurately get .1 in that fat syringe. The pharmacy should have given us a narrow syringe. Luckily, the pharmacist said there is no long term damage that was done. Whew.....
I got home around 5:30, and Olivia was asleep. Sonjia and Bill left about 30 minutes after I arrived and Olivia promptly woke up and began SCREAMING! It felt like I was reliving the past and holding Jacob again. She proceeded to cry for over the next hour and a half. Once I began to get her calm, momma called to see how my first day went. We talked for a few minutes and then the doorbell rang. It was someone Brian and I met who works for Edward Jones. He talked and talked for a while and finally left about half an hour later. I decided to eat, and Olivia finally fell asleep. I ate in peace and then decided to take a bath while Olivia was calm. Of course, as soon as I turned on the water, she woke up crying. She then started spitting up all over herself, so as soon as I got out of the bath, I had to give her one.
I got Jacob in the tub and told him to wash himself while I went downstairs to bathe Olivia. After getting her dressed and calm, I went to check on Jacob. I walked in the bathroom and saw him holding the PLUNGER bottom side up and he was pouring water into it using the TOILET BRUSH HOLDER! The toilet brush was floating beside him.
Ah, the joys of parenthood. What an initiation back into the real world!
No comments:
Post a Comment