Wednesday, April 25, 2007

< 1 percentile

At her last evaluation, Olivia's speech score (based on age equivalency) was less than one percentile. While that isn't shocking, it somehow has managed to sit heavily on my mind since then.

Olivia sometimes mimics the sign for "more". Not often though. And her vocabulary is still extremely small and inconsistent, but you can tell by being around her that she IS gaining some ground. She has speech once a week and we try to continue that work the rest of the time. She sometimes says "ball" and "cow", makes tons of consonant and vowel sounds when she babbles, and is understanding the concept of communication. When you count, "1, 2, 3", she will sometimes say, "un" for one, and then makes this "t"/"th" sound like she is trying to say two or three. She's starting to get it.

Ashley, her speech therapist, thinks that she will catch up to her age over time. That's great news. And I still believe a lot of it has to do with the fact that she isn't exploring the world like other 23 month old babies are. Once she gets more mobile, I think the speech will take off.

Her new sign is "baby". She crosses her arms in front of her chest when she sees her doll. So sweet.

Last night, she was sitting in my lap when Brian carried a sleeping Jacob upstairs from the basement. Jacob was wrapped in his Pirates of the Carribean blanket and his long body was spilling out of Brian's arms. Olivia looked at the two of them and immediately gave the "baby" sign.

In that precious moment, even I had no words.

I try to maintain perspective on Olivia's progress. Often I succeed... sometimes I fail.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
(2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

Remember Donna, His grace is enough.

1 comment:

Ashlyn said...

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
~ 1 Peter 5:7
My prays are with you. The joy in those small precious moments is a gift from God and a reminder of what is important.