Sunday, July 15, 2007

AMC Support Convention 2007


The convention was great- sooo glad we went.

Jacob was pretty anxious about his first flight and was almost in tears during take-off, but by the time we left on Sunday, he acted like flying was second nature to him.

It was obvious that a lot of time and work went into planning everything- it is so wonderful that this convention is free to the families.

We went knowing that Olivia is mildly affected compared to so many others and we were reminded of that fact as we met so many children with amyoplasia type arthrogryposis. I was amazed to watch these children adapt to their disabilities. Turning pages of a book with her toes, running fast in his posterier walker, scooting uphill only using her legs. Truly amazing.

Jacob enjoyed his time with some of the older kids- running around the hotel like he owned the place.

I didn't walk away from the convention with a ton of new knowledge. Many of the topics and facts are things I've researched online or have read about on the support boards. But I enjoyed listening to the speakers, and hearing the questions parents asked. No matter how many times I hear or read about arthrogryposis, it is still comforting, in a way, to hear the information again. I seem to become a bit more aware, a bit more wiser (I hope...) as time goes on.

There were lots of tears. Anytime a parent cried, I did too. They shared their grief, their joys, their fears, their questions. And the bond happened as soon as you walked in the front door of the hotel. Most of the families had never met, yet this community of strangers shared some life experiences that drew them together. There weren't stares and explanations to be given. Instead there were stories. It really was such an amazing feeling- knowing that everyone in this room understood.

And among the hardships and pain and fear and grief, there was hope. And such thankfulness for the richness that our AMCers have added to our lives. We are blessed by these children and though we would never have chosen for our children to have any added difficulties in this journey of life, we all have found that our journey is special in ways that we never fathomed.

So, my favorite part? Just being there. Meeting the other families. Especially the Rudder family, as it seems the more we talk, the more similarities we find in our girls and our lives. So thankful to finally meet them in person.

We're home now. Tired (and broke). But more blessed and more thankful than we were last Thursday before our trip to Texas. Soooo glad we went...

Here are the pics:




AMC Support Convention July 2007

2 comments:

Suzanne Rudder said...

What wonderful pictures! I'm so impressed you already have them posted! It was so great to meet you & your family, we loved you guys....hope you had a wonderful flight home!

TheNormalMiddle said...

I really really really really (did I say REALLY?) want to go next year. My husband is going to see if we can swing it next year.

Like you guys, Marcy is very mild and I am constantly reminded how blessed we are. but it is so nice to network with these families and raise awareness about AMC. I truly love the cause.