Thursday, July 05, 2007

The 4th

It started out as "one of those days". Jacob had a couple of emotional breakdowns and even when he tried, he could do nothing right. For example, he decided to spray paint a cardboard box in the kitchen...

Brian and I worked on the bathroom some, requiring two trips to Lowe's. Then I had to go to Walmart. It just wasn't starting out as the relaxing day we envisioned the 4th to be. The afternoon with the Lowe's was very nice- swimming, grilling out, and the 2nd annual red, white, and blue cupcake fest on the front walk.

I wasn't too thrilled about going to the fireworks. I think Brian and I were thinking a quiet evening chilling on the couch sounded much more appealing. But, we went anyway and I'm soooo glad we did. Olivia LOVED THE FIREWORKS. The pictures I took don't begin to express the excitement she felt. She savored every moment. The sounds didn't scare her. She kept her eyes on the sky. She was beaming. Clapping, yelling, just pure excitement. Jacob enjoyed the show as well, mostly from the comfort of maw's chair.

We tried to explain to Jacob on the way home why we celebrate the 4th of July. (When we first asked HIM why we celebrate, he said it was because of the fireworks.) We talked about our Declaration of Independence, our fight to be our own country, and what our founding fathers envisioned as a free country. We told him that the United States of America was born on July 4, 1776.

Jacob said, "Oh, was that after the Titanic?"















2 comments:

Suzanne Rudder said...

How sweet! I'm sure her excitement made it well worth going.

Mrs. Breum said...

found you through Robin's blog. Cute pics!