Tonight, Jacob and I dropped off Olivia at Maw's house and we headed out for a mother/son night in Hickory.
Dinner at Backyard Burgers. Guess what Jacob ate? Right. Chicken strips. Wasted the fries. Drank a huge cup of chocolate milk. He is definitely predictable.
Then, on to the movies. Ratatouille. (Had to Google that to make sure I spelled it right.) Great movie. Jacob stuck with it until about ten minutes to go. Then he said, "I'm tired. Can we go home now?" He's a tough critic.
As we were walking out of the theater, I told him I needed to stop by the restroom. As an almost-eight-year-old boy, he has no desire to accompany his mom into the restroom anymore, so he stood outside the door and waited for me. While I was in the stall, the fire alarm went off. I rushed as fast as I could and ran out the door to find a wide-eyed Jacob. All was well after we were reunited, and we even saw one of the fire cars headed to the theater as we left for home.
We talked a lot tonight. Jacob was full of questions. We discussed the details of the careers of just about everyone we know as we drove to Hickory. (I guess he's exploring his options.) And he now understands what that inspection sticker in my windshield is for. Oh, and I think he finally understands the importance of taking a sweatshirt to the theater, even in the summertime.
A lovely evening with my favorite seven year old.
No comments:
Post a Comment