Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Love your country.

Daddy,

Today was election day.

I've gone round and round trying to make my decision about my choice for president. I'm that person who can't claim to be a republican or democrat. Wishy-washy is probably a better term for me. I hate campaigns where candidates are constantly pointing fingers, calling out negative attributes of their opponents. I don't like confrontation or the stress of arguments and debates, so I struggle with such a divisive situation as a political campaign.

I've watched some, read some, and prayed some. I wanted to vote the same as Brian, so we finally made a decision together last night.

McCain.

I thought about you so much today. When I filled in my ballot, I thought how proud of me you would be that I voted for McCain. I can hear you now, telling me all about him, and explaining why he would make a great leader for our country. I'm sure you would have been sitting in front of the TV tonight, anxiously waiting to hear how the electoral votes were falling into place.

He didn't make it, daddy.

Instead, Obama will be our next president. And I'm not sad about that. I think he is a fine man and he has an air of inspiration that I think our country needs right now.

But, as I sat here listening to McCain's concession speech, I had tears streaming down my face. That's strange, I know, considering how wishy-washy I've been with this election. It's finally hitting me- I'm realizing now how badly I wanted him to win.

He loves his country so much. Sounds like another man I know.

He reminds me so much of you.

I would have loved to see you run for a political office. You would have carried yourself with grace and honor. True, you would have probably shown your temper if your opponent tried to run a dirty campaign. But, oh how I would have loved to fill in a ballot with the name James Conner on it...

You always told me that you were a republican who so desperately wanted to be a democrat. There's no doubt in my mind that you would have supported, voted for, and probably campaigned for John McCain. But, I think if you were sitting beside me right now, at 12:07 a.m. on election night, watching and listening to Obama's victory speech, I think you would be inspired by the possibilities. His words are elegant and powerful, and I'm sure you would be as touched as I am right now by the hope and passion he exudes.

Love your country. You told me that so many times.

And I listened. I do love my country, daddy.

and I love you,
Donna Michelle

1 comment:

Greta said...

Tears again and very well said about the feelings of the whole presidential runnings. Miss you D!