Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hmmm...

For some reason, I have a lot of thoughts tumbling about in my mind tonight. Random pieces of memories, plans and moments all jumbled together, making it difficult to focus on any of them in detail.

Forget the fact that I should be cleaning this house or doing laundry or therapy. Apparently, thinking uses up all my brain cells, leaving not much left over for chores. (Weak attempt at an excuse...)

Anyway, maybe it's the inauguration that has me in a hopeful mood. I feel inspired and nostalgic. Obama taking the oath of office this morning was awe inspiring. Our country has an amazing story. We aren't a perfect people- nowhere near- but that makes the story all the more interesting. We are trying to figure out the best path for our nation as we go along. And today was one of those days when I'm reminded how the process of democracy was intended to be. And that just gives me goosebumps.

And of course, it makes me think of daddy. He has been on my mind all day. I wish he had been sitting with me watching the inauguration. I know he would have voted for McCain, but he would have loved the history and tradition of today's events. And though he would have spent some time reminding me why he was a "republican who desperately wants to be a democrat," he would have been inspired by Obama and by America's people today.

So, of course I came home and read some West Wing transcripts. It's one of those days.

Jacob wants Brian to be president. Specific reasons: A) because he would be popular at school. (so much for hoping my child wouldn't care about such things...), B) so he can have Griffin over to the White House, and C) so he could ride in a limo. There you go.

Next thought...

My picture-of-the-day-resolution flopped on January 12. Oh well... I had good intentions. I'll try again and see how far I get on the second go-round.

Next...

I. Am. Addicted. To. Twilight. I'm 35 years old and I'm buying my books in the young adult section of the bookstore. It's the love story that has me hooked. I'm halfway through the fourth (and last) book... and it makes me sad that I'm almost done.

Next...

I am so in love with Brian. I love our life together. It's that simple. This journey started almost 20 years ago. And I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Next...

It snowed last night. I wanted at least a foot. We got enough to cover the grass. Except for the occasional shadowed patches of white, it's gone already. Stupid snow. It was, however, absolutely beautiful while it was falling. Perfectly silent joy.

Next...

I wish I was extremely talented at something. I don't mean mediocre. I mean, I wish I had that level of talent that people stop and say, "that's God-given talent right there." Talent for playing the violin, photography, singing, writing, ANY one sport (I'm not picky on this one- seriously, I wouldn't even have to be awesome at it, just average would be nice.), crafts...

Next thought...

I'm in the mood to declutter. Apparently, not overwhelmingly in the mood, as I had three days off and only managed to nap and read and be lazy. But, I would love to fix up my craft room- organize, paint, decorate. And I would love to clean out some closets and the mudroom and my old teaching stuff in the garage. Need. Motivation.

My brain is a confusing, garbled mess most of the time. Hmmm...

2 comments:

Greta said...

ditto... so me in almost all you said and I've been meaning to blog all about it instead I'll just direct people to your page Donna :)

Anonymous said...

can i be the one to tell you that you are an extremely talented photographer and writer? there you go ... you are much more than mediocre, you got talent!