Saturday, April 24, 2010

I got out my camera.

And decided to just take some pictures. I guess I was inspired by Ali's Week in the Life project. Just wanted to capture life.

O loves to empty drawers. Often. I put "keepsakes" in the sofa table drawers and she empties them every day. Multiple times.


I. Love. Fresh. Flowers. Been cutting blooms from the azalea bushes. Cause I just love flowers.


Waiting to be picked up and put back in the drawer so it can be dumped again.


She does the same thing in her playroom. You can put everything neatly in its place, but don't get your feelings hurt when she dumps it all back out onto the floor.


O doesn't "imaginary play" (beside the occasional pretend bite from a fork). She just gets a toy/book/fill-in-the-blank-item, looks at it, sometimes studies it for a minute, then tosses it. With her pretend food, she usually bites each one before tossing it.


My dear husband is all about spices and herbs. He's got his own baby herb garden sprouting on our kitchen windowsill.


Sweet baby Caroline graces the front of our fridge. I wish my baby sister lived closer...


I take off my jewelry as soon as I walk in the door every day. Usually the necklaces pile up on the kitchen counter before they make it back upstairs to their home in the bathroom cabinet. My poor husband. He doesn't have to worry about wet pantyhose drying on the shower rod. (I. Hate. Pantyhose.) But, instead, he has to deal with piles of necklaces.

Simple round dining room table with some fresh flowers. Heaven.


My big kid. He's so tall now that I can rest my chin on his head when we hug. He can also wear my shoes (and I have BIG feet!). He's growing too fast...


Time to empty the kitchen catch-all drawer!


O likes cords. Grabs both ends and slings it about for a minute. Then tosses it, of course.


Sweet mess of a hairdo.





Tealight. Isn't that what every four year old likes to play with?


Jacob's growth chart. More proof that he's growing way too fast for me... And for his clothes and shoes.


I love my bunny chalkboard. I've had it for a few years now. I saw it while shopping in the mountains, but didn't buy it. My Brian drove back up the mountain to get it for me for Mother's Day. I've written "Welcome Home" on it. I'm hoping it's a subliminal message for anyone who comes to look at the house. Whenever it sells, I'll give all the credit to the bunny.


I've been wanting to buy some glass containers. I love them. I finally bought this one this past week and it's been sitting on my kitchen counter patiently waiting for a purpose...


This is officially Olivia's first must-have stuffed animal. Meet Foofa from Yo Yo Gabba. (I HATE the show, but chickadee loves it, so we suffer through it. Daily.) The Winklers gave Foofa to O for Christmas, but she suddenly became attached to it sometime in Feb-March. For a while, it went everywhere with her. She would push/drag it with her wherever she crawled. It often went to school with her. She seems to be a bit less attached to it lately. It might have something to do with the fact that Foofa desperately needs a bath.


I love my new tin containers from Pottery Barn. No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 (a flat box under the glass vase). Brian said we should put No. 1 and No. 2 on top of the toilet. :)


The deck table is currently home to more of Brian's herbs.


Our sweet boy won the Caring Award in his class this nine weeks. We're so proud of him. He has such a big heart and is so kind to others.

He's dealing with a bully in his class right now and it makes me want to find the kid and stomp on his toes. It's happened enough (especially recently) that it's time to talk to his teacher about it. If something doesn't change, I think we might be getting a call soon about my kid beating up the bully kid. Eesh. I don't want that, but my kind, caring kid can only take so much. That and my dear husband has told Jacob that if the bully hits him, then he should hit him back.

A little background: I was the good girl in school. I didn't get in trouble, I didn't fight, and I certainly didn't get suspended. Then I grew up and became a teacher. I didn't tolerate bullying or meanness in my class, and I told my students not to retaliate unless they had to do so in self-defense. So, I'm a little torn about encouraging J to fight back. I don't want Jake to get in trouble, but I also don't want stupid bullies to think they can take advantage of him.

When Jake was in preschool, his best friends were the two bullies in the class. Jacob is a follower, so I'm sure he put up with whatever they dished out. Brian picked him up one afternoon and his teacher said she had looked over at Jacob earlier in the day to find he had cornered the two bullies and was punching both of them at the same time. She said she took her time walking over to break it up. I love that story. :)


O was intrigued by the stamps she found in the drawer.


Life captured. I need to do this more often.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love it!!!! What a great idea.

Stephanie said...

I love it!!!! What a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Guess what...I am growing herbs too. :D Rosemary, thyme, basil, mint...

Jacob is getting so big and handsome. He looks so much like you, Donna.

O, sweet little O. She sees you throwing your necklaces in a pile and not picking them up. She is copying you - and your picture is proof! haha

I love your pictures, and I love you too. ~T

Greta said...

Great pictures and great stories. I agree with Brian tell Jacob to take care of the bullies if needed. The No. 1 and No 2 made me laugh and your hubby is too sweet. Going back to get the bunny for you. Olivia is getting so big and I can't imagine all the drawer dumping. :) I love you. Always wish you were closer.

Suzanne Rudder said...

I absolutely love this! May have to steal your idea. :)