Sunday, January 23, 2011

Guilty, but innocent

Jacob is on safety patrol this month at school, which means he helps with the flag and opens car doors in the morning.  We've done well getting him there early so far this month, which is an accomplishment.  But, I didn't know there was power that came with the title of Safety Patrolman... 

I picked Jacob up from after school one day last week.  He walked over to me with his bookbag on his shoulder and was drinking from a Coke bottle.  I asked him where he got the drink from, and he said, "I brought some quarters to school."

"Okay... But, where did you get the drink from?"

"From the teachers lounge."

That's right.  From the teachers lounge.  That morning, before his safety patrol job duties started, he took his quarters and helped himself to the drink machine in the teachers lounge.

After I explained that he shouldn't have done that, he said, "But, I'm on safety patrol."  (Duh.  I completely forgot about the special rights and privileges that come with the job of safety patrol.)   I reiterated the fact that students aren't allowed in the teachers lounge, and they certainly aren't allowed to help themselves to the drink machine.

Then he added, "Well, I thought since you work for the school system, it would be okay."  (Duh.  I completely forgot about the special rights and privileges that come with being the kid of an employee.  I really hope he hasn't tried to use that line before...)

Here's the thing-  as much as it sounds like he's a cocky brat who thinks he's better than everyone else, that couldn't be farther from the truth.  He's actually so wrapped up in childhood innocence that societal rules are abstract for him.  (Kinda reminds me of the time he said hello to his art teacher by swatting her on her rear end.)

My big kid.  Sometime he makes me crazy.  But, I'm telling you, he has the kindest heart and gentlest spirit.  He's so much like his father, and I'm so proud of the man Brian is- and the man Jacob is becoming. 

And I pray that he keeps that precious innocence as long as possible...

2 comments:

Greta said...

I just about spit out my coffee when I saw the swatting her behind comment I forgot about that one. :) And with my current smokers cough- sinus infection- I almost peed on myself too since my laugh makes me cough :).
Love you Donna!

Stephanie said...

I forgot about the butt swat also :) sweet kiddo!