I completed a parent survey a few weeks ago as part of
Olivia’s every-third-year evaluation. I
had to rate Olivia’s level of skill in areas of gross/fine motor, social,
self-help, and more. I circled more
zeros (meaning ‘never’) than any other number. I was supposed to begin
completing each section starting in Olivia’s age range (she’ll be 8 in
May). The assessment was sent back to me
twice to complete sections for younger ages, because there was no baseline to
score. In other words, there were so many zeros circled, they
couldn’t score it. I can’t articulate the ache I felt while
completing that survey. And after the
IEP meeting, after listening to the team share her test results and her
progress and goals, I found myself in that place that I try so desperately to
avoid. The place where the world makes
us fit, makes her fit. The place where
she’s squeezed into a defined box of typical, and what’s left at the end is only
a glaring statement that she doesn’t belong.
There’s a father whose journey has led him and his family
from the death of a child to the birth of two more and the adoption of a
special-needs child. His words inspire
me, and often they speak my heart. He
wrote recently that his daughter had been through developmental evaluations,
and that it was so jarring, because he and his wife don’t see her through that
lens.
Jarring. Yes.
That’s it. Because we don’t see her through that lens.
All of Olivia’s goals for her IEP must relate to grade-level
standards in reading, math, and writing.
There are extension standards available for students like Olivia, but essentially,
it all ties back to the grade-level standards.
So, they have to take a third grade math standard and make a goal for
Olivia. I’m sure there are many folks
smarter than me who have created this system of extension standards, but I just
can’t wrap my brain around the purpose of trying to make her fit in the box.
Starting in third grade, Olivia has to take the
state/federal-mandated assessments in reading and math. Olivia qualifies for the “extend 2” version
of the assessment, which looks very different than the typical multiple-choice
test most other students take. I was
reminded that all third graders must pass the assessment before being promoted to
fourth grade, unless there are extenuating circumstances. I was also told, though I already knew, that
because Olivia will be taking the “extend 2” tests, she will not be eligible to
graduate high school with a diploma.
Did you hear that? The
path we’re on, this journey of unknowns, this mysterious miracle of a life with
our girl, is so different from most of her peers. Yet, we still must fit in the box. Since we don’t, since she doesn’t, we’re
writing down on paper, and signing it, to say that our child will not graduate.
It seems all I see around me are
reminders of what she can’t do.
Today, I read an editorial by a school board chairperson
(don’t remember what state/district). He
passionately shared his concerns about budget cuts and special education
mandates. He isn’t advocating for special-needs
children. He is stating that a huge
chunk of state/local funding goes to the special-needs population, at the
expense of our “best and brightest.” He
even stated that most special needs children who are labeled with emotional
disabilities are because of our "crumbling family structure." He said that districts should have the
flexibility to spend the money how they see fit, but that special ed mandates
keep them from cutting into special ed.
He said the responsibility for the needs of special needs children
should be met through social welfare, not education.
My child. He’s
talking about my child. He’s saying my daughter is worth less. Worthless.
I came home from the IEP meeting last week and cried. Many times.
The tears just appeared every so often, the aching of my heart causing
them to spill over.
Dear God, You made my
daughter, just as you made my son.
Fearfully and wonderfully made. Her life is different than most,
yes. But, You know the purpose for her
life is just as meaningful as her peers who are making straight A’s on their
report cards and are able to dress themselves in the morning. Heal my heart, Lord, because it aches with
pain and anger and isolation and sadness.
This world is so broken, just as my heart.
Somehow, some way,
please teach others what You’ve taught me through Olivia. Help us all to see what You see. Help us to
truly love, the way You intend.
Show me how to bring
glory to You through our precious daughter and to help others know her
incredible worth.
And dear Lord, come
quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment