Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rugged Terrain

We've been trying for so long to get Olivia to walk. With her walker, without her walker, with knee immobilizers, AFO's, bribing with sweets, using a mirror to encourage her, putting toys in her view. You name it, we've probably done it.

Sometimes, we see progress. Sometimes, we get discouraged. Don't get me wrong- she has come so far.

But yesterday Jeanine came over and we took O outside. In the grass, on the side of the house where there is an incline. She took beautiful steps with her walker, stepping high and even following through with her left foot (rather than dragging it just in line with the right like she normally does).

Gorgeous steps. All uphill.

She did something similar at Disney. We were in the dinosaur dig playground and I held her arms so she could try to step up onto a fake dig site. It was rugged and I wasn't sure she wouldn't even try to step up, as it looked nothing like smooth, even stairs. But, she liked it and she pulled up each leg, determined to try to reach the height of the next foothold.

Logic says that walking up an incline in grass would be harder than on flat hardwood flooring. But, I think my baby girl may like the rugged terrain. Maybe she doesn't want the easy way.

Maybe she likes the road less traveled.

That sure would make her Paca happy. And it makes me happy, too.

Baby girl, do it your way. We'll be there every step of the way.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Go! Go! Go!

It is like one of my favorite sayings which I will totally butcher here but I think it goes...

I get up
I walk
I fall down
meanwhile I keep dancing

I love you Olivia!

xoxo ~Cat said...

Olivia knows a secret....

Anyone can put one foot in front of another DOWNHILL.. it's reflexive, instinctive... mindless, almost...

but, to balance.. heel to toe.. push, rock, pull.. move.. one foot.. then the other.. and UPHILL? oh, that's so much more SPECIFIC... so much more DETERMINED... so much MORE..

That's a pretty amazing girl you've got your hand on there... aren't you lucky to have her as your own? And she is truly blessed to be born into this particular family.

The work of the Universe is stunning in it's simplicity.. isn't it?

Suzanne Rudder said...

She's one amazing little girl! Way to go Olivia.....keep it up!